Monday, August 17, 2009

Dad's Advice still rings true today...

When I was 9 years old, Dad told me, "the day you curse your job is the day you don't go." At the time, it didn't mean a great deal to me. I mean, I wasn't gainfully employed, I wasn't even babysitting yet!

About 15 years later, I had graduated college, had a job, and was miserable. I called my dad and said, "I remember you telling me once that 'the day you curse your job is the day you don't go.' Well, I'm there! I hate my job! Does that mean I can quit?

My father's response was simple. He asked me, "what is it you hate?" I told him I couldn't stand my boss. He was egotistical, intimidating, and arrogant. He didn't appreciate anything I did, and took credit for my ideas!
Dad's response was, "I told you the day you curse your JOB is the day you don't go. Not the day you curse your boss, or your co-workers, or your customers... but the job you do. You need to understand that bosses and co-workers and customers come and go, but if you don't gain satisfaction from the work you do, if you can't apply your creativity or talents at work, then you need to find another job."

That was the day, at the age of 24, that I understood employment. I began to look at that job, and every job since differently. Since then, I have had several jobs. I have been a business owner 3 times! I have worked for others for as briefly as 2 years and as long as 10 years. I know what makes a job worth going to every day, and I know what makes me curse my job.

So now, I have committed myself to helping others understand the wisdom of my father. I want to help other people see the value... heck, the sheer JOY of truly loving the job you do every day!

So, today, I begin a blog that will hopefully enlighten and enliven others. My father may have died over 15 years ago, but his words will live on. Look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself, "have I cursed my job today?"

1 comment:

Dennis said...

Well, this is no surprise! Great going, Carol! You do have a knack for showing the way. Congratulations on the new vdenture. You are, truly, someone who does things with a passion and does things VERY well!
Good luck! The people you meet always come away with more than they expect.
Dennis